Thursday, February 12, 2015

Final Thoughts Month of February: Blog 2- A Letter from Poppy


Ellie, over the past 5 years, I have been in awe that your Mom and Mimi have been writing letters to you every week.  Your Mom and Mimi have a talent that I do not possess, but greatly admire.  

In the spirit of challenging my own self, I would like to share with you my almost 6 decades of life experiences.

1.  I realized that “our roads” to success have been paved by everyone that has come before us.   So with each passing birthday Ellie, I hope you will take a moment to look back and see “your road” the one that is paving your future.

2.  If you were to take a picture of the “you” today, you need to know that there is more than just a pretty young lady staring back at you from the photo.   That picture is like a jigsaw puzzle made up of many pieces.  Your family, friends and daily life moments shape each of those pieces.  

3.  That being said Ellie “YOU” are responsible for You.   You have the final decision of the person you want to be.  So challenge yourself everyday.  Don’t take the easy road and blame someone else for a wrong choice made.  Be responsible. 

5.  Education will get you everywhere.  Never stop learning Ellie.  Our mind is one of the greatest gifts given to us, so fill it with knowledge and lots of it.  It is an important key to success.

4.  Everyone at some point in life goes through difficult times; your success or failure will depend on how you handle all situations including the tough ones.  And if you are ever in doubt, ask for help.

6.  What you do everyday matters more than what you do once in a while.  Put your best foot forward each morning and you will sleep better each night.

7.  Live your life with Integrity and Honesty, remembering your word is everything.

8.  A leader leads by a positive example.  Be a leader Ellie… you have that capability. 

9.  I have learned through my many years that hard work as well as common sense brings opportunities to our paths, and many of those opportunities bring success.

10.   Lastly Ellie, I would like to leave you with an inspirational piece that has had a profound effect on me.  I use to be the person who looked for “the station,” but no more.  
With age, I have become a bit wiser (or so I would hope!).  Please read the following poem Ellie, and don’t forget to Stop and Smell the Roses on your own path of life.


Love,
Your Poppy

The Station
By: Robert J. Hastings

Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. 
We are traveling by train, out the windows, 
we drink in the passing scenes of children waving at a crossing, 
cattle grazing on a distant hillside, 
row upon row of corn and wheat, 
flatlands and valleys, 
mountains and rolling hillsides 
and city skylines. 

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. 
On a certain day, we will pull into the station. 
Bands will be playing and flags waving. 
Once we get there, our dreams will come true 
and the pieces of our lives 
will fit together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. 
Restlessly we pace the aisles, 
damning the minutes - waiting, 
waiting, waiting for the station. 

"When we reach the station, that will be it!" 
We cry. "When I'm 18." "When I buy a new 450sl Mercedes Benz!" "When I put the last kid through college." 
"When I have paid off the mortgage!" 
"When I get a promotion." "When I reach retirement, 
I shall live happily ever after!" 

Sooner or later, we realize there is no station, no one place to arrive. 
The true joy of life is the trip. 
The station is only a dream. 
It constantly outdistances us. "Relish the moment" is a good motto. 
It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. 
It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. 
Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today. Regret is reality, after the facts. 


So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. 

Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, 


go barefoot more often, 
swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less. 
Life must be lived as we go along. 


The STATION will come soon enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment