Thursday, December 20, 2012

Creative Month of December: Blog 3- Letters from Mom & Mimi



Dear Ellie,

4 days until Christmas!  Gosh, this really is my favorite time of year.  I love all the holiday cheer, the merriment felt abuzz in the streets.  I love wrapping gifts when you are fast asleep while watching my favorite holiday movies (or during your nap time and listening to Christmas songs).  I have found that when people give of themselves and think of others, they are much more full of cheer (me included)… oh if we all did this more often throughout the year!

This week has also been filled with company.  Christmas brings family and friends together so always make sure that you have a warm home that people feel welcome (making delicious homemade cookies to offer helps- and you have been my wonderful baking aid!).  Gram Bubbles flew in on Saturday to stay through Christmas and Michelle & Devin came to visit for three days on their way home to Florida.  We’ve had such a wonderful time catching up.  And for the first time ever, I hosted a 10 person home cooked dinner with all of our family!  I made a delicious chicken parmesan dish (with a bunch of homemade baked goodies for dessert).  I must say, I was really proud of myself (For future reference for you Ellie, you know you did a good job when you hardly have any leftovers and your company stays many hours).  It was a good time had by all and I think I will try doing this again sometime soon.

And on a separate note, I want to detail a big change in your life… you are officially enrolled in preschool (that will begin after the New Year). I’m so proud to say that you are excited and anxious to start!  We went in for a tour and you joined the classroom voluntarily to play while I talked to the principal.  You came home and told your Poppy that you need a backpack lunch pail so he took you to Target to pick out what you need.  You’ve been practicing and playing school every since (filling your bag with books and plastic food!).                              
                                                                                                                               

Your Mimi and I are continuing our month of color simile poems   For each week of December, we have chosen different colors that represent Christmas to write our poems about (so we will each do 2).  The colors should give feelings to the holiday images we are comparing them too.  Your Mimi has done a couple in the past and they are some of my favorites as I can feel the colors- the imagery is lasting.  And I hope that’s what these are for you Ellie.  And so I will continue on this third week with…

SILVER

SILVER as the feathered wings on the angel that sits atop my tree.

SILVER as the aluminum foiled garland strung across my mantel.

SILVER as the glistening cross in the peaceful chapel reminding us of love and hope.

SILVER as the cast metal bells that are played while the choir sings during Christmas service.

SILVER as the bright star of Bethlehem that guided the three wise men to welcome baby Jesus.

SILVER as the tufts of snow that lie on the living manger outside of my church.

I love you Ellie Bean!
Love,
Mom


PS Here is the healthy chicken parm recipe I used (I’m almost embarrassed to post it as it is so easy but I love meals that taste good and allows you time to be with your guests, not in the kitchen):

Low Carb Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients: Chicken Breasts, Spaghetti Sauce, Italian Seasonings, Oregano, Garlic Salt, Low-Fat Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Spray non-fat cooking spray on a shallow baking dish (or cooking pan with higher edges)

Season both sides of your chicken breast with Italian seasonings, oregano, and garlic salt.

Spoon pasta sauce evenly over the chicken breasts.

Bake for 45 minutes, then sprinkle the low-fat mozzarella cheese over the breasts evenly and bake for an additional 5 minutes

Serve with spaghetti, salad, and fresh baked bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment