Thursday, September 18, 2014

Final Thoughts Month of September: Blog 3- Letters from Mom & Mimi

Dear Ellie,

You have been back in school now for two weeks.  You are having so much fun in your 4-year preschool class.  And I have to say that I love how easy our mornings have been.

Final Thought: Starting off your day on the right foot sets the pace for what’s to follow.

On your perfect day, you could sleep in until 9am.  You wouldn’t eat breakfast for at least an hour after waking up.  You prefer to lounge on the couch for thirty minutes to ease into the morning.  On a typical morning, we often argue about what you are going to wear, which I don’t completely understand as the only stipulations I have are that the clothes are weather appropriate, they must be clean, and no pajamas (but what really sets you off is if there is a weather change and it involves altering your 2 go-to outfits).  You cry when I gently put a brush through your hair.  And you need to change your shoes at least once (never starting with what eventually ends up on your feet- your Minnie light-up Crocs) before we leave the house.

So knowing all of this, you can see how our two early mornings a week usually are rough (to say the least) where I need to get you to school, Will to daycare, and get myself ready for work (we leave the house at 7:15).  And you are not quiet about your frustrations or grumpiness (so your Dad and Will usually wake up to your cries on those days).  When I would drop you off, I often vented to your preschool teacher about the past hour because I felt horrible about how you and I both quarreled.

But this year (knock on wood), you have taken on a whole new approach.  In your words (as you bump your fists together), “No more clashing Mom.”  I haven’t been running late and you have a smile on your face as you skip out the door to my car.  I don’t know what the change is as nothing about our mornings is different.  But can I tell you how wonderful my day is with that kind of beginning?

On the night before the first day of school, when I asked you if you were going to dress up, you answered, “Of course.” As you pulled out your Nookie baseball shirt and pink shorts, you replied, “I’m going to wear my best tee shirt and clean shorts!”  Oh Ellie, I just shook my head as I thought about all of the gorgeous dresses in your closet.  So when you woke up and without hesitation put on exactly what you told me the night before, I smiled.  I love your free spirit and your independence.  I hope you hold onto your convictions as you get older but always try to be nice when you wake up (even if you still aren’t a morning person).  I promise, it’s sets a beautiful tone to the rest of the day. 

Now I know the biggest obstacle will be easing into winter clothes (although we have your fleece pants ready in the next size up- same leopard print as this year and Mimi also found them in a star pattern too).  Change is hard for most so it’s no different for you Ellie.  But I hope we can have a smooth transition and still have our peaceful mornings. 

I love you Ellie!
Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment