Thursday, October 10, 2013

Life Lesson Month of October: Blog 2- Letters from Mom & Mimi



Hello my adorable “chit-chat girlfriend!”

(You will understand the salutation I chose by a certain event that happened this past weekend while watching you and of course it’s one that I can’t resist writing about!) But first let me explain what prompted this blog.

Ellie, about a month ago while your Dad was away on a business trip, your Mommy and you came over for a Saturday night sleepover.  It was a weekend filled with lots of giggles, and oodles of activities.  But the very best part of that Saturday was actually bedtime.  We conned Poppy into sleeping in Ryan’s old bedroom so that us three girls could have the big king bed.  

As we settled in under the covers Poppy plugged in your Disney Princess nightlight for us and turned off the overhead light.  I don’t think he wanted to be alone because he started making hand-puppet shadows in the nightlight’s circle and that prompted you to get out of bed and hang out with Poppy for a while trying your own hand at finger animals!  Anyway, once we got you back in bed and situated in the middle, we had to play the Brain-Game, also known as 20 Questions, but with a 3 year old it is more like 3 or 4 Questions Max!  Here was your choice question… Ellie: What is stinky?  It’s a skunk.  Mimi: Mmmmm… I don’t know.  Can you give me another hint?  Ellie:  Yes.  It’s black and white.  Mimi:  Is it an animal?  Ellie:  Yes. It’s a skunk.  Mimi: Mmmmmm… I think I know.  Ellie: What is it?  Mimi:  Is it a a a skunk?  Ellie: YES!!!!!!!  It IS a skunk!”  You said with great satisfaction.  See, even with your ‘tell-all’ answer, the 3rd round is the perfect time to guess correctly!  Ellie, sometimes you are just too funny!  Well, eventually you tired of that game, so we had to play the Star-Light Star-Bright Game where we get to wish for something special, something silly, or something that doesn’t make any sense, just as long as it prolongs the inevitable… going to sleep.  When your Mommy and I put an end to that game you reminded us that we had to say our prayers.  So as we began to recite the Hail Mary, you grabbed your mommy’s hand and also mine.  After finishing, you looked at each of us and with a smile and made a very adult and thought provoking statement.  You said, “Look Mommy.  Look Mimi.  When we hold hands together we are connected.”  And that we are Ellie.  Yes indeed.

Life Lessons Learned #32:  A forever connection starts with a simple touch.

Ellie, you will find this blog entry quite lengthy, but it is because I want to share some of the special moments or rather the connection that comes so easily to you and I.  So I will start by telling you about the weekend your baby brother Will was born.  Poppy and I had the honor of watching you for the few days your Mommy and Daddy stayed at the hospital.  And what a wonderful experience it was.  We could have titled the weekend Ellie Rules, because with Poppy and me you are the Princess and we are your Royal Subjects always at your beck-n-call!  Before taking you to the hospital where your Daddy excitedly scooped you up into his arms anxious to have you meet your little brother, I made sure you had a gift for him because Will made sure to have a gift for you!  From what I have heard, you were quite pleased with the even-exchange… Will getting a talking huggable dog and you receiving a life-like baby Will!  This new baby of yours came back to my house where we played pretend house until Ryan and Sammy came over that evening.  Now Ellie, I know you took an immediate liking to your new-baby brother, but the life-like Will doll did not get quite that same attention.  While playing house, your baby Will whom you said was just born, spent numerous times in “Time-Out.”  Apparently he was not listening to you, he was not taking his bottle when you fed him and he was somehow doing things he wasn’t suppose to be doing (not exactly sure what that could be since he is made of plastic!  Poor little guy!).  Thankfully Sammy and Ryan stopped by and distracted you with a surprise.   Sammy gave you an awesome present for being a new Big Sister… stickers, jump-rope, paddleball, catch a fish, a growing sponge seahorse and the biggest hit of all, Silly String which you excitedly sprayed at us 4 adults!  

The pretend Will came outside to play with all of us too but was dropped like a football more times than not (I think we may have to work a bit more on compassion with your dolls, as your connection with them isn’t always consistent)!  Anyway, later that evening after your Aunt and Uncle departed, we turned our living room into a massive tent, got out the sleeping bags, some popcorn and Doritos and turned off all the overhead lights so that the flashlights were much more effective.  Poppy gave up on us and went to bed while we told each other stories and giggled for a few hours. Thankfully by 11:00 pm you opted to sleep in a real bed (and my back is forever grateful to you El!).  And the part I treasure most is when you held my hand right before you fell soundly asleep.  Saturday was a fun day as well.  We started the morning off by visiting your Mommy, Daddy, and Will at the hospital.  Surprisingly you wanted to stay for quite sometime and of course we let you.  Your comfort level was in a good place Ellie, especially with your Mommy.  And you thought you were pretty grown up when you had the honor of feeding Will!  El, you are going to be an amazing Big Sister… Will is going to love you so!  But back to the days events.  Around 11:30 am you finally decided that we could go to the Penny Carnival that was taking place at the library in Centre Hall.  As an adult, my take on it was ‘corny but cute.’  Your take on it was ‘Jackpot!’  We stayed for quite awhile Ellie while you played all the outdoor 1cent games.   And with every game’s win, came a special prize that excited you more than the one before!  It was the perfect place to take a young child!  From there we went to McDonald’s where you insisted that we sit at the high-top table with pink spinning stools.  After opening up both yours and my Happy Meals so that we could dig into some yummy hamburgers and apple slices, you stopped me.  You said with your hands animating dramatic expression, “Mimi let’s chit-chat for awhile.”  I blinked and said, “Chit-chat?”  You answered, “Yes.  I’ll tell you about my friend Cassidy.”  Ellie I had to stifle a giggle because I swear you sounded like a young teenager.  So I said, “Ok.  What’s up with Cassidy?”  You responded, “Welllllll, she said she was going to follow us.  And we told her she couldn’t follow us, but she followed us anyway.”  I answered with, “ Who’s us?”  Which you quickly responded, “Kalena and me.” So I asked what I thought was an intelligent question, “Where were you all going?”  And with an exasperated look you threw your hands up and flipped your wrists while answering, “Nowhere!  She just wouldn’t listen!  And I told her!”  I responded with a shake of my head and a puckered face, “Wellllll, that was some nerve.  You agreed with a strong and somewhat frustrated, “Yes!”  So I gingerly continued with, “I hope everyone was still nice to her.”  You then softened a bit and finished with, “Yes. We were nice.”  And then you proceeded to eat your Happy Meal!  Ellie, I was so glad we had the chance to “chit-chat” and clear up the Cassidy confusion!   Because finally we were able to move on to matters much more important…  like playing with our Happy Meal Wizard of Oz prize figurines (and just so you know, it is moments like these that are priceless to me)!  After leaving McDonald’s we swung by Gymboree because I wanted to get you some new pants, which was prompted by a meeting of the minds, that you and I had earlier that morning.  You insisted that your Mommy said you could wear shorts even though it was probably 50 degrees outside.  I told you that I didn’t think so and no you were not wearing shorts because it is no longer summertime.  Let me just say El, you are one very strong-minded individual but since I have 50 plus years on you…. I won.  Well… when I look at it now, I think you actually won because you walked out of that store with a pair of low-heeled red-paten leather Dorothy shoes, frilly ivory socks and a blue ‘twirl’ dress (which was not on my original purchasing list!)  

From there we went back to the hospital to visit with your Mommy as she and Will were by themselves for two hours.  It was then that your comfort level went completely back to normal as you snuggled up to your Mom on her bed, you got and gave her numerous hugs and you interacted with Will in such a loving and caring way. 

When you were ready to leave we traveled back to my house where we ate dinner and then played something new.  Nail Salon!  My friend and your Mommy’s boss, Susan, gave you a package kit with 5 miniature nail polishes for being a new “Big Sister.”  So you pretended to be Tina the Nail Lady and decided that my name was to be Miss Kim.  I took my socks off to get ready for my pedicure but you quickly informed me that you had to paint your own toenails first and I had to just wait (hmmmmm, I am thinking that there will probably be a ‘Business 101’ class somewhere in your future Ellie!  After all, what kind of salon stays in business with that kind of service???!!!).  Yes, I waited.  After a good thirty minutes, it was finally my turn. You started off with painting my toenails and my left hand an array of colors.  They reminded me of a rainbow.  As I held out my right hand for you to paint next, the look on your face told me that there was going to be a change in plans (you obviously were done playing this game and I had to beg you to finish).  I was relieved to see you pick up the red nail polish bottle and paint my pinky, but then I was shocked when you continued on to my ring finger.  I tried to stop you by asking for green instead but you forcefully stated a very strong “NO, you get red and that is all!”  So my middle finger, my forefinger and lastly, my thumb all ended up red.  You then charged me $4.00 and said you quit!  Oh to be 3!   

Now I shall jump to Sunday.  Since your Dad was bringing your Mommy and Will home from the hospital on Sunday afternoon, they wanted you home with them too.  So we only had a few hours left of playing time before we needed to return you to your family.  Ellie, the one thing you absolutely love to do is go down into our basement where I have your craft area set up.  I thought it would be fun to make a turkey hat and you agreed.  But never in a million years did I think the turkey would be as unique as it ended up.  Ellie, you were insistent that the turkey had to have boogers, and blue ones at that so it was the first part of its face that you created.  You then put its eyes where its mouth should have been.  Once the bird was completed, I tried it on your head.  Well, that didn’t last very long.  Not liking the way it felt, you whipped it off and said that you were going to give it to your Mom instead (so we both agreed that it would be a Great Welcome Home Mom present!). 

Well El, our fun weekend adventure had to come to an end eventually.  And for me, it ended in the most heartwarming way.  After driving to your home across town and guiding you out of the car-seat you took my hand in yours and we walked to your front door.  As I looked down at your hand in mine I realized that a ‘simple touch’ goes much deeper.  For you my dear Ellie-bean have not only touched my heart but my soul too.  Yes, Ellie, you are wise beyond your years.  A connection can be forever if you never let go.

Love you girlfriend!
Mimi


1 comment:

  1. Mickey I love your story and I know that some day Ellie will love to read back on how much fun she had with you and to remember the account of her brother coming into the world.

    ReplyDelete