Thursday, January 31, 2013

Creative Month of February: Blog 1- Letters from Mom & Mimi


Dear Ellie,

I am really enjoying my time with you at home!  Working part-time has been the best decision I’ve made in a long time.  You and I get three full days a week together… and let me tell you, you have an imagination that won’t stop!  Your latest make believe scenario is switching roles where you are the Mama and I’m Ellie!  We also do creative activities too- like bringing the snow inside when it was too cold to play outside and lots of arts and crafts.  

You help me cook and you’re learning a lot about numbers in the process.  Of course, reading and playing babies are always on our daily list too!  I will cherish this time I have with you always! 

And now back to our story…

So as for our weekly guidelines: I write a piece one week in regular font, and then your Mimi will write a piece in italics the next week.  The only things your Mimi and I agreed on were the characters- Ellie and a magic teapot and the setting (an aquarium).  Anything else is fair game and will make our adventure a new tale.  We also need to figure out an illustration to go with our part.  Our goal Ellie is to have a beloved bedtime story for you and future generations.  And so we will continue our fourth piece of fiction. 

Ellie and the Magic Teapot: Off to the Aquarium- Part 5

Ellie and Lion approached the giant shipwreck cautiously.  They had no idea what or who was waiting inside.  As they looked around the side of the large ship for an entrance, they noticed a circular window was propped open above their heads.  Before they could peek through, they were stopped in their tracks by what they heard first.

“Why are pirates called pirates?” they heard a silly voice say.  Ellie looked at Lion with knowing and suspecting eyes but before she could say anything the voice continued, “They just arghhhhh!”  Lion couldn’t help but smile at the joke he just heard, despite now knowing who probably took the treasure chest.

“Why does it take pirates so long to learn the alphabet?” the voice began again.  Lion looked at Ellie perplexed by the questions and then he craned his neck to listen to the answer, “because they spend years at sea (C)!” the voice chuckled.

This time Lion couldn’t help himself and started laughing hysterically loud.

“Hey, who’s there?” an orange and white striped fish with white face paint poked out of the circular window, looked down, and swam right up to Ellie and Lion. 

“Do you mind?  This act is supposed to be a surprise and I need time to rehearse!” the fish muttered.  Ellie noticed that the fish was in costume.  He had red paint around his lips, a fake red rubber nose, and a red polka dotted bowtie strung around his neck.

Lion was still giggling at the joke so Ellie elbowed him gently in the ribs to pull it together as she introduced herself and Lion politely. “And who are you?” she asked the annoyed fish who seemed to soften as he realized Lion really enjoyed his jokes.

“I’m Collywobbles the Clown Fish, I like to make people laugh!” he said as he gazed at Lion. Once a week I host a comedy show down by the giant seashells. I rehearse my bits here so that I have privacy as I prepare.  You’re not here to steal my jokes are you?” he narrowed his eyes as he accused Ellie and Lion.

“Interesting that he chose to use the word steal,” Ellie thought ironically before she said aloud, “we’re here looking for information on the missing pirates’ treasure chest.  Do you happen to know anything?”  Ellie took out her notepad and again started jotting down some notes.

Collywobbles seemed baffled as he gestured for Ellie and Lion to follow him in through the circular window to chat further.  “Welcome to my office,” he said.  Ellie and Lion looked around.  He had set up some wooden beams in the large open room to look like benches that faced a staged platform.

“No I didn’t even realize that it was stolen,” he looked sullen and perplexed as he went back to the question.

“Why do you look so grim?” Lion asked Collywobbles.

“Well, my whole act this week centers around the theme of pirates because of that new exhibit.  It won’t make any sense if there’s no pirate chest,” he said as he bit his lip dejectedly.  “My performance is tonight.  It doesn’t give me much time to prepare new material.  I suppose I’ll have to cancel.”

Ellie realized that he was telling the truth and she suddenly felt sorry for the clown fish, as he was so obviously passionate about his job.  She tried to cheer him up.  “How about you tell us one of your most famous jokes?” she proposed and Collywobbles’ eyes lit up.  He took Ellie and Lion to a bench to sit as he took the stage.

“Why are fish so smart,” Collywobbles began with a wink.  Lion shrugged his furry shoulders and Collywobbles continued, “because they live in schools!”

Lion and Ellie couldn’t help but join him in his laughter.  “That was a good one,” admitted Ellie as soon as she could catch her breath between fits of giggles.  She started to hic-cup sending many bubbles through her breathing machine, which made her laugh even more.

The clown fish then remembered that he might have to redo or cancel his skit and became gloomy again. “Don’t worry Collywobbles, we will solve the mystery of the missing pirates’ treasure chest really soon so by the time you do your comedy routine tonight, it will be right back where it ought to be,” Lion encouraged.

Ellie recalled something she had in her pocket that would perk up the Clown Fish so she stuck her hand in and dug around.   Finally with a firm tug, she pulled out a large black microphone.  “Here Collywobbles, why don’t you hold onto this for me?  Your jokes are so funny that I think all the fish in the sea should hear you,” Ellie prompted.

“You’re giving him your beloved microphone Ellie?  But you love singing into that thing!” Lion gasped in disbelief as Collywobbles gleefully started playing with the device.

“Not giving, just sharing.  Besides, I’m not singing right now, am I?  We have a job to do!  And now we are on a time limit.  We have to find that treasure by this evening. Collywobbles, do you have any idea of where we should go next for clues?”

“Oh sure!  You know when I was up on deck earlier I did spy something weird at the Helm.   Why don’t you swim on up and see for yourself?”  And as Collywobbles explained a bit further, Lion and Ellie knew where their next stop would be….

Until next week!
I love you Ellie!
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment