Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ellie and the Magic Teapot Into the Secret Forest: October Blog 2- Letters from Mom & Mimi


(You are still loving the park and the chilly fall weather isn't deterring you!)
(You make yourself right at home at Pottery Barn for Kids Ellie- right down to that stuffed animal your clutching... thank you for making me smile so many times everyday!)
Hi Bean,

So this morning, I was talking more with you about changing houses (trying to prepare you for our move next month).  While we were in the car to daycare, you looked really worried and I asked what was wrong.  You inquired, "Mama, are they going to have a potty there?" as in the new house.  I said of course and you proceeded to ask, "Will you know how to work it?"  I said (while completely straight-faced), “Yes, Ellie.  It will be just like here.”  Then, you wanted to know if they had a step stool there.  I thought that was so interesting that you are stressing too about this move!  But I promise Ellie, this is going to be so good for our family and I think we both need to get past our anxiety and get EXCITED!!!  We are moving HOME! 

And now here is our yearlong bedtime story/stories (with many chapters to write!) for you. 

So as for our weekly guidelines: I write a piece one week in regular font, and then your Mimi will write a piece in italics the next week.  The only things your Mimi and I agreed on were the characters- Ellie and a magic teapot and the setting (a forest with trolls).  Anything else is fair game and will make our adventure a new tale.  We also need to figure out an illustration to go with our part.  Our goal Ellie is to have a beloved bedtime story for you and future generations.  And so we will continue our third piece of fiction. 

Ellie and the Magic Teapot: Into the Secret Forest Part 11
Colonel Muster Troll gave a nudge that seemed an awful lot like a push.  “Hey!  Keep your hands to yourself!  Didn’t your Mom teach you the Golden Rule?  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” Lion said to the ogre as he reluctantly shuffled a bit faster despite the blindfold.  Lion was afraid to go too fast since he couldn’t see.  He didn’t want to trip! 

Colonel Muster all of a sudden became solemn.  “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen my mom,” he replied with tears in his eyes.  “I’ve been working for Trudy for so long.  Maybe she will reward me for bringing you two in!  Maybe I’ll get a vacation home!  Although I don’t think my Mom will recognize me.”

“Why won’t your Mom recognize you?” Ellie inquired curiously.

Colonel Muster shot her an annoyed glance.  “I haven’t always been a troll,” he snapped.  That surprised Ellie and Lion into a stunned silence.  It was at that quiet moment that they heard singing.  It was not melodic like Rockin’ Troll.  Instead it was a very off-key sound.  It reminded Ellie of when her cat Joe cried to get into her room at night and would meow loudly and very screechy.

“Giggle, giggle coo
Chuckle, chuckle hey
Give me all your laughter
I want it today!

Once I’ve taken it
A troll you will be
The only way to break my spell
Is to try and stop me

The secrets in my hat
For it holds the key
That will unlock the gate
And set you free!”

“I’m not sure what that song means Lion, but I have a feeling that those words are very important!  Remember that part about the key being in the hat to set us free!” Ellie whispered exasperatedly to Lion.  She squeezed his hand in reassurance.  She was scared being blindfolded.  The dark can be really frightening but when you have your best friend with you, it makes it seem much brighter.

Ellie, Lion, and Colonel Muster Troll then heard the voice say, “Find me giggles, find me laughter, and find me those that I should go after…. Oh and look at what I see here through my magical glasses… Ellie and Lion are just about to enter my cave!”

The duo heard a door opening and they were shuffled through a threshold.  The blindfold was removed and they could finally see the one they had been dreading… Trudy!  Ellie didn’t think she looked that scary… if it weren’t for her green skin and miserable face, she actually reminded her of her great-grandmothers with their grayish white hair, soft skin, and hearing aids.  As Ellie observed Trudy, it was Lion who looked around the cavern, which was Trudy’s home.  But before he could adjust his eyes to the gloomy decorated living room, both he and Ellie were ushered out a rear door into Trudy’s backyard.  It was there that Lion’s eyes took in the Giggle Grabber machine (that he didn’t completely understand yet); he saw some movement in a dark corner near the fence just beyond the machine.  Lion focused and realized it was Oliver, Trudy, and Sebastian (held captive in a cage together) trying silently to get his attention by moving around in waving motions.  Lion poked Ellie in the side and with his eyes motioned over so she would see what he did.  Ellie nodded to show she understood.  They would have to find a way to set their friends free too.

“Oh you two are smart,” cackled Trudy, “I can’t wait to steal your infectious giggles and turn you into my smartest trolls yet!”  She stepped in between Ellie and Lion and grabbed their hands to lead them into her machine.  Trudy then told Colonel Muster Troll to leave.  He gave her a second glance in question and she bossed, “Go on, get out!”  And he halfheartedly went out the door they came in (Colonel Muster seemed disappointed at the lack of attention he received; he had hoped he would at least get a pat on the back if not a reward). 

At first Ellie and Lion were baffled as they had never seen anything as complex as the Giggle Grabber but it didn’t take long before fear engrossed them.  Lion tried to shake his paw free but Trudy was much stronger than her frail body looked.  He shot Ellie a panicked glance but Ellie smiled, winked, and nodded.  He knew she must have a plan.  He looked at her again as Trudy was guiding them toward her contraption.  Ellie motioned ahead at the swing that Trudy was going to force Ellie and Lion to sit on.  One step before they reached it, Ellie stretched out her leg and kicked the closest end of the wooden swing causing the other end to lift up…. And hit Trudy square in the forehead.  As the swing fell back into place, Trudy’s hat flew off like it was hit by a catapult landing just in front of the cage that held Oliver, Sebastian, and Tad.  “Quick, the magic key that will set you free is hidden in her hat!  Get it and unlock yourselves!”  Ellie yelled desperately to her friends. 

The hat was just far enough out of the cage that Owl’s wings or Tad’s legs couldn’t reach but Sebastian was able to shimmy enough of his slithery body to get his tail around it and rope it in.  Elle and Lion didn’t see Sebastian grab the key from the hidden inside pocket and let out Tad and Oliver, as well as himself.  That was because Lion and Ellie were forced (with a bit more strength now) onto the repositioned swing by Trudy’s firm grasp (Trudy did her best not to rub the bright red bump forming just above her brow- she didn’t want to seem weak in their eyes).  “Oh let them free,” she scoffed as she saw the owl, snake, and toad running for their freedom, “It’s you two who I was after anyway!” 

Lion looked at Ellie desperately, “Why didn’t you save the key for us?  If you knew it was magic, it could have gotten us out of here!” he sniffled as Trudy backed out of the Giggle Grabber machine locking them in. 

“Lion, I have faith in my friends.  I saw an opportunity to help them and I know they will help us.  I’m not afraid.  Trudy is an angry old lady and we need to show her kindness.  I was so afraid upon entering her cavern that I realized I’m scared of the unknown.  But now that I am here, I am ok and I know that WE will be ok.  Just have faith,” Ellie spoke softly so Trudy wouldn’t see what she saw… Oliver, Sebastian, and Tad linked together on the overhang above Trudy’s patio near the back door.  Tad was getting ready to grab Trudy’s glasses (his legs were held on by Sebastian, who’s tail was hooked by Oliver who was firmly planted on the trunk of one of the beams of the cave)!  Ellie winked at Lion, “She can’t see very well Buddy!  We are going to get out of here!” But just as she said the words, the machine started, the fans whirled, and the spaghetti noodles came up and started to tickle their toes.  Dread filled Lion’s face as he couldn’t help but spew out giggles as his paws were his ticklish spot.  “Help me please Ellie!” Lion cried out in between bursts of laughter.  It was then he realized, the more he giggled, the more green his fur became…
 We love you Ellie!
Love,
Mom & Mimi               

No comments:

Post a Comment