Friday, September 23, 2011

Characteristic Traits of September: Blog 4- Letters from Mom & Mimi

Dear Ellie,
Since this is our last blog on our characteristic traits, we will end with our favorite recipe (that prevailed through childhood on up) and our favorite poem (great idea Mimi!!!).
So Ellie, every since I was a little girl, I have loved this Philly favorite (and it is so simple and although I usually eat it for breakfast, it is so good for lunch and dinner when you are by yourself!).
Tomato and Egg Sandwich

Ingredients:
2 pieces of white bread
1 Jersey tomato (but if you can’t get it from Jersey any big, juicy one will do)
1 egg
2 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Fry your egg
Generously spread the light mayo on your bread
Slice the tomatoes and pile them high on the bread
Put your fried egg on top and use a butter knife to break the yoke and spread over the sandwich
Add salt and pepper
Cut in half and serve

And my very favorite poem to share with you that I read on days when I need a pick-me-up or to refocus on what is important (FYI Ellie, you should keep a folder of your favorite poems, letters, and cards- reading these on rainy or sad days will always uplift you), is:
Success by Mickey Russell (your Mimi)

I am sitting quietly at my desk,
Pondering the thought of what makes Success.

It has nothing to do with the dollars you make.
But rather the quality of time here is really what’s at stake.

It has nothing to do with the properties you own.
But rather the sharing of your faith so as never to stand-alone.

It has nothing to do with the furs and jewels you acquire.
But rather following in the footsteps of someone’s actions you admire.

It has nothing to do with the automobiles you buy.
But rather the unselfish giving of oneself before you die.

It has nothing to do with the lavish places you see.
But rather the forgiving of yourself and others completely.

You see, when all is said and done,
Material things will not have won.

When you go before the heavens, HE won’t have to guess.
HE will nod in approval because you have learned Success.

Well Miss Spaghetti, I will close here as I am writing this on my day off (we had parent conferences late into the evening these past two nights and today, Friday, we were compensated for our time).  I cannot wait to spend a girls’ day with you.  Let’s go for a walk and who knows what… the day is ours.
Love you gorgeous!!!
Mom
And now from your Mimi…  

Hi Ellie Spaghetti,
  
I am using your mommy’s favorite nickname for you in my part of the blog as it fits perfectly with my recipe this month!  When you read my choice of dinners, I think you will giggle!

But first I must tell you that at this very moment your Poppy and I are having teatime while I type away!  As you can see from below, I stopped midway through our tea and purposely took a photograph of Poppy drinking his tea.   

If you look very closely at the picture on his mug Ellie, you will see yourself!  You little Miss Sunshine are our daily “ray of light” and you top our list of conversation at each and every tea-break we have!   Yep… Poppy and I are like the “NYSE Ticker Tape” when it comes to chatting about you.  We could go on, and on, and on, and on as neither of us ever tires when it comes to speaking or listening about our favorite baby girl!

But now for my recipe.  I chose Baked Macaroni and Cheese because when I was growing up, that was a staple in our household.  Your great-great Gram Jones would serve up a delicious Mac-n-cheese with a side of tuna fish on Friday nights.  To this day I have never tired of it.  The recipe I am sharing with you is not one of my mother’s originals, but another very yummy one that I have tasted and given a huge thumbs up!  Give it a try spaghetti girl … I think you will be “hooked!”

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients
8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
¼ cup butter
2-½ Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup butter
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 pinch of paprika

Directions
1.      Cook macaroni according to the package directions.  Drain.
2.      In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Stir in enough flour to make a roux.  Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly.  Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick.  Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni.  Stir well.
3.      Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add breadcrumbs and brown.  Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover.  Sprinkle with a little paprika.
4.      Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Serve.

As for a poem this month Ellie, I am using one that I wrote a while ago, as it was a challenge from me, to me, to write about little girls and childhood dreams.  Hopefully you will enjoy my selection this month.

Growing Up By: Mickey Russell

I like blush
And red lipstick
I can pose for pictures
Take your pick
I like pocketbooks
And long white gloves
I can play a movie star
In and out of love
I like earrings
And rings on my finger
I can hum a tune
Like and opera singer
I like boas
And high heel shoes
I want to be famous
And always in the news
I like dress up
And dream to be
Just like the people
Who are important to me.

Well Ellie, after talking with your mom today, we both think this blog is a perfect ending to the beautiful month of September.   And for next month we decided October’s theme topic would be “Anticipation!”  Wait till you see what we have in store for you!

Till next time Spaghetti Girl!
Love Mimi

2 comments:

  1. Very light but yet informative. How impressed Ellie will be to read some of her Mimi's poetry. Kim I really like the way you connect all of the blogs with themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie but that idea was all my Mom's! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete